Wednesday, May 23, 2018

Could not have imagined living at home with my parents at age 30!

I just read this article thinking 'it's about time parents took this type of action'.

Why are people expecting to live with or have financial support from their parents their whole lives?  I would have been ashamed and embarrassed.  

At 16-17 yrs old my stepfather told me if I didn't come home everyday and clean the house and make dinner that he was going to kick me out of the house.  Now mind you, I was in high school and working 2 part time jobs which easily came to over 50 hrs a week.  I graduated on a Friday and the next Monday I started a full time job with The Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta, Jacksonville Branch.  No time to "find" myself or relax.  I started working when I was 12 and would have loved to have taken a bit of a break, but mother and step father would have nothing to do with me taking care of me for a while.  When I got closer to graduation, and couldn't take the threats anymore, I answered him by stating that I was saving money to get out of the house as fast as I could because I didn't want to be there any more than he did.  I graduated at 17, turned 18 later in the summer of 1973 and by January 1974 I moved out and it was absolute heaven!

  Quite some years later I learned in a phone call from my brother that the reason my mother wanted me out of the house so fast, was because she was sure I was trying to steal her husband away from her!!   OMG, the man made/makes my skin crawl and always had/has.  I cannot believe a mother would accuse her only daughter of something so horrifying, at least to me it was horrifying.  

I know that not everyone has the same incentive to get the Hell Out Of Dodge as quickly as is possible, but I still don't relate at all to sitting on your ass in the home that your parents paid for, having them cook, clean, feed you, and do your laundry!  Really??  From the time I started working at 12, I've never been given one dollar from my parents for anything and can't imagine asking anyone to help us out of situations that we put ourselves into.  

It's time for 30, 40, and 50 somethings to grow up and act like adults.  Is Generation X just totally without any work ethic?  Do they have no idea what being a responsible human being feels like, feel no remorse over living with others while they pay their bills and feed and clothe them, do they not have a conscience, do they really think it is their parents responsibility to care for them, and their boyfriends, husbands and children as well? 

Because of my dysfunctional upbringing, I got an awesome education in taking personal responsibility as I could not rely on anyone to come to my aid. At one time, hubby and I were $15,000 in debt (not counting the house payment) and with only one person (hubby) working, I got us 100% out of debt (minus the house of course) in 2 or 2 1/2 yrs and then managed to save $20,000 for a new truck down payment in about 2 more yrs.  With our home's 40th birthday this past January, we find ourselves needing new roofs on both our home and garage.  We both need to go to the eye doctor and get new glasses.  We both need to go to the dentist. Our back porch floods every time it rains and there are holes in all the screens.  Husband says we need to just take down the porch and start all over with a new one.  We drive 21 and 22 year old cars that hubby constantly works on.  So with needing roughly $28,000 to get all this accomplished (and I'm not even talking about a new/newer car), I'm going to have to find a way to save up a ton of money as quickly as possible.  I pray constantly that we don't have any roof problems while I hunt for pennies, nickels, dimes.....it doesn't matter, I'm not picky.

But after all this major bitching and complaining, I never forget how so very, very grateful I am for everything we have and I know that the Holy Spirit knows what our financial needs are and that it will be provided. 

Ok, now out to the back porch to mop up the small lake that accumulated yesterday with the torrential downpour we had out here in South Jacksonville.  I haven't even done my spring cleaning on either porch yet, only just worked on some plants, but again it's time to spring clean our front porch and a disaster of a back porch.

Later,

sandy





No comments:

Post a Comment