Sunday, July 21, 2013

How Can Such A Beautiful Creature Have Not So Beautiful Behavior

I've been wondering this for a while now as I watch the hummingbirds feed at the feeder on my front porch. I finally found a location where they seem to be more comfortable to feed and where the sun doesn't turn the nectar all cloudy within a day's time.  I've also learned to only make a small amount of nectar at a time, so it doesn't have a chance to turn ugly too quickly.  It still requires a bit of time devoted to keeping everything in tip top shape so they don't get sick.  It's also very nice to have the feeder close enough that you can view them in action.  

Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately for humans that enjoy the show, sometimes they can cause quite a bit of action with their shenanigans.  What I've been seeing is what I refer to as them 'dive bombing' each other. Well I got smart and decided to do a search and this site explains very well what's going on.  I know that I love to see a hummer perch while he drinks and I imagine it takes quite a bit of comfort, on their part, for them to feel that they can perch.  It's the old saying in the animal world of the 'survival of the fittest' while witnessing them being territorial.  The male being territorial will even go so far as to drive off all females, unless one relents to his charms and mates with him.  And if or when that happens the male will then allow that particular female to feed in 'his' territory.  Fascinating creatures!




Happy bird watching to everyone that enjoys this particular pasttime.

Later,

sandy

No comments:

Post a Comment